Tuesday, August 31, 2010

ONI MASK

Oni are Japanese ghost, demons, and devils. I was exploring on the web when the concept kinda hit me. Obviously, different cultures view and use certain terminology according to their belief system. Being very Western in lifestyle I was scared at first of the idea, however, I grew up a little (lol) and explored the idea further realizing that a lack of knowledge is way worse than having too much of the wrong information.

Once I figured out that Oni were not originally evil just a way of rationalizing the unknown in the past I soon grew fond of the concept. To face the fear I even created an Oni mask (more akin to anime than folklore) which encompassed my love of nature and themes there in. I even named my mask Kutuu Jujuu Ua Oni which is a fusion of African and Japanese words meaning Butterfly Magic Flower Ghost.

I will post images of my mask once it is completely painted until then read if you like the article from WikiAnswers explaining Oni masks in Japanese culture.

N8


The oni is the demon of japanese folklore. It takes on many other names, sometimes referred to as a devil. Unlike most western cultures, the oni is not necessarily seen as an evil being. It is said to be of a dual nature, meaning it's powers can be good or evil, depending on if it likes the subject it attaches itself too. Oni are credited with with bringing good health, safety, peace and avoiding disaster. A typical oni mask has horns, bulging eyes, a sinister looking smile and sharp teeth. Sometimes, it is shown in a form that looks more like a skull. This represents a very black and white image of transition. A representation that good is leaning toward evil, or that evil is trying to become good. Often, oni masks will have hair. If one could break away from the traditional impression that the demon is an instrument of evil, it would make the oni a more widely accepted good luck symbol.

No comments: