Saturday, February 26, 2011

WALK IT LIKE YOU OWN IT!!!!!!

Jennifer Berg of the Page Awards mass mailed this email a few nights ago. Even though she is trying to get more people to enter her contest this email was truly INSPIRING and worth posting on my blog. So take her advice and "WALK IT LIKE YOU OWN IT!"

God Bless and Good Luck to all who are in a position to face this type of challenge... I will see you soon enough (lol ;)

N8

Dear Nathan,

In honor of this weekend's Oscar ceremony, I'd like to share with you one of my favorite experiences here in L.A....

I was new in town. I had moved to Los Angeles from the Midwest just a few months earlier and was working as an assistant at a production company. The hours were long and the pay was abysmal. No matter what you want to achieve in Hollywood – whether you want to become a writer, producer or actor – there's one constant: you've gotta pay your dues. But the important thing was that I was learning a lot and making some very good friends.

One of those friends was working as an assistant for Gil Cates, the producer of the Academy Awards show. And though, like me, she put in very long hours for very little pay, her job afforded her one huge, wonderful perk: she got four tickets to the ceremony. And she gave two of them to me. I could hardly believe it...

I was going to the Academy Awards!!

I had never attended an event like this before, and on my tiny paycheck, I knew I was going to have to be very resourceful. (Girls, you'll understand this...) I found a long black dress on sale at Ross for $15, and a pair of strappy sandals for $10. As a substitute for the jewelry I didn't have, I wrapped a long, glittery scarf around my neck (very Isadora Duncan), then found a pair of rhinestone earrings at a little thrift store.

On the morning of the event, I splurged on a trip to the salon, and the hair stylist gave me a gorgeous up-do. On my way out of the mall, as I passed a cosmetics counter, I spotted a make-up artistdoing demos. She told me that if I purchased just $15 worth of product, she'd do my make-up for me. Are you kidding? A total klutz with a make-up brush, I lept at the opportunity. And when she found out where I was going that night, she went all out.

Have you ever watched one of those reality shows like "How Do I Look?" Well, it was like that. When he showed up on my doorstep, my date was clearly impressed. And, wow, there's nothing like a man in a tux!

Driving towards the theater was a long, slow snarl of traffic. Our little Toyota crawled forward amidst a sea of Lincolns, Lexuses and limos -- just a hint of things to come...

Finally, our feet hit the red carpet. It was breathtaking! All the movie stars being interviewed by TV commentators. The paparazzi flashing pictures. And the screaming fans! When they caught sight of an actor they loved, the roar from the crowd was deafening. It's everything you see on TV, but you're actually there.

One thing I didn't expect... The red carpet was extremely long. It seemed to stretch on forever. Just for fun, I decided to walk it like I owned it. My date was shy, and probably a bit embarrassed, but heck, how many times in life do you have an opportunity likethat? As we made our way toward the theater, some of the paparazzi would peer at me for a split second, brows furrowed, "Is she somebody?" The quick conclusion "No!" and their eyes roved on.

I couldn't help but smile to myself. The moment was delicious.

The lobby is where it really hit me... Standing shoulder-to-shoulder with Nicole Kidman and Glenn Close. Brushing past Steven Spielberg, Clint Eastwood, Johnny Depp. Exchanging a smile withTom Hanks. Since moving to L.A., I had seen a few stars walk through the office where I worked, and had occasionally spotted a celebrity at a restaurant or in a store, but this was overwhelming! Turn any direction and you'd see fifteen famous faces. I don't usually consider myself "star-struck," but on that night I was.

Since there was absolutely no threat our names would be called to take the stage, we were seated up in the balcony. It was perfect! We had front row seats, with a bird's-eye view, looking down on all the glitter and the glam. The ceremony was long – as they always are. And as always, there were some incredibly inspiring moments, along with some moments that made me cringe. But no doubt about it, I would count that event as one of the most memorable nights of my life.

These days, I'm happy to watch the show on TV every year, gathered together with a group of good friends. In our private little party, we dish about the fashion, comment on the commentators, cheer for our favorite movies, and throw popcorn at the screen when we're unhappy with the results.

My wish for you...?


That you will one day have the chance to be there in person – hopefully, as a nominee! – making that long walk down the red carpet. And if so, take my advice... Walk it like you own it!

No comments: